Worship and music positions are listed at Pray Tell as a service to the churches. To list your position, click the link below and fill out the form, including a minimum 4-5 sentence description, application instructions, and a takedown date.
Cost to post to the job board is $10, via PayPal. Once you complete the form, you will be directed to a PayPal login to complete your transaction. Jobs won’t be posted unless the PayPal checkout is completed. Please allow 24-48 hours for posts to appear.
Director of Liturgical Music
St. Anne and St. Patrick Parish in Sturbridge, MA
A Vision of this Ministry
The Director of Liturgical Music is a professional who holds specialized credentials in music and who has a thorough understanding of Roman Catholic liturgy. This person of faith is responsible for the effective planning, coordination, and execution of music within the liturgical celebrations of the parish especially the Sunday liturgies and other major feasts and solemnities.
Major Responsibilities and Tasks
The Director of Liturgical Music:
1. Directs the parish music program, selects and plans music in cooperation with the Coordinator of Liturgy and the liturgy committee for use in parish liturgies.
2. Provides music, musicians and cantors for all Sunday and other major celebrations.
3. Invites, motivates, and trains all parish ministers of music (whether volunteer, stipend, or salaried).
4. Cooperates with the Coordinator of Liturgy in recruiting needed musicians and cantors, and attempts to involve newcomers and a broad spectrum of parishioners.
Effective functioning of this ministry requires, in particular, that the Director of Liturgical Music is a person of prayer, is sensitive to the cultural experience of parishioners, and understands their spirituality and worship life. He/She must be an active member, in good standing, of the Roman Catholic Church.
Competencies and Skills
1. Is knowledgeable of and comfortable with Church music literature in all forms and styles for the congregation, choirs (adult, teen, and children), vocalists, and instrumentalists.
2. Is proficient in liturgical principles.
3. Has a thorough understanding of the musical, liturgical, and pastoral judgments, which must be made in selecting music for liturgy.
4. Must be able to play the organ, and the piano.
5. Is proficient in directing a choir.
Formation, Training, and Criteria for Readiness
Minimally, a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent is required, even though a more professional qualification, such as the equivalent of a Master’s Degree in music and liturgy, is preferred.
• Part-time, 20 to 25 hours a week which includes planning and providing music for all the Sunday masses and other major celebrations (like Christmas, Easter Triduum among others), organizing and rehearsing a parish choir, and training possible cantors.
• Providing music for weddings and funerals will be an added benefit.
Director of Liturgical Music
In order to apply, please email letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.
Saint Martha Catholic Parish and School in Okemos, MI
SAINT MARTHA CATHOLIC PARISH AND SCHOOL at 1100 West Grand River Avenue in OKEMOS, MICHIGAN, a vibrant, growing parish with a school, seeks a full-time music minister. The parish is located in a diverse suburban community. Principal local employers include the State of Michigan, Michigan State University, General Motors, Jackson National Life Insurance Company, Sparrow Health System and others. The parish boundaries include residential, commercial, farming, and university lands, on which live persons at all levels of prosperity and poverty.
The music program at the parish is strong. The current music minister is relocating during the summer of 2019, following completion of graduate studies at Michigan State. The church is striking in its beauty, with many pieces of art that portray scenes from Sacred Scripture. A new, state-of-the-art sound system is being installed at this time (winter 2019). The church holds a Wicks pipe organ of approximately 42 ranks, a Story and Clark grand piano, and a digital piano. Each is well tuned and in excellent condition. Both the choir loft and the front of the church are wired to allow choir, schola, and instrumental musicians.
The school students attend Mass one morning a week. The weekend Mass schedule is 5 pm on Saturday, and 8 am, 10 am, and 5 pm on Sunday. The 5 pm Mass on Sunday leads into an evening of youth group activity. The repertoire of the choir and of the parish is broad, and the parish is accustomed to singing the Psalm refrain, a wide selection of hymns, and the responses to the dialogue portions of the Mass.
Saint Martha Parish and School shares the mission of Christ and of his whole Church – educating and forming persons of all ages to be missionary disciples of Jesus Christ. Liturgical music plays a central role parish life, and the people of the parish expect the music ministry to be of the highest quality.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the music minister include (a) leading congregational song at the parish’s weekly school Mass, its weekend liturgies, and the liturgies for holy days, funerals, and weddings, (b) educating and forming the parish through the choice of hymns, (c) helping to increase Mass attendance through excellence in the parish’s liturgical music, (d) recruiting and training excellent cantors for the parish liturgies, (e) leading an adult choir, as well as other choirs and musical groups in the parish, (f) recruiting and leading excellent musicians and singers for the parish liturgies, (g) taking responsibility for all music associated with worship, religious education, youth ministry, social ministry, and other parish outreach programs, (h) working collaboratively with the pastor, with the worship commission, and with parish and school staff to plan and execute the liturgies for weekend Masses, school Masses, holy days, special occasions, funerals, and weddings, (i) assuring that copyright permissions and licenses are in good order, (j) providing liturgical formation, music education, and practical preparations for cantors and leaders of song, choral, and instrumental groups, (k) selecting or preparing hymnals, worship aids, and other worship materials, (l) attending staff meetings and worship committee meetings, (m) formulating and managing the annual music ministry budget.
The desired candidate is a practicing Catholic, actively involved in parish life. The desired candidate holds a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in music and has experience in parish music ministry. Formal education in sacred music or liturgical music is preferred.
A candidate must provide a letter of application, a resume, at least three letters of recommendation, transcripts, and contact information for professional and personal references. This material must be e-mailed to Donald Morgan, Director of Operations at: firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 p.m. on FRIDAY, MARCH 22, 2019.
Diocese of Green Bay in Green Bay, WI
A full job description in English and in Spanish may be requested by email at email@example.com.
Position requirements include:
• Fluency in Spanish and English
• Undergraduate degree in music or its equivalent, with thorough knowledge of music notation, including keyboard, guitar, and vocal conventions
• Proficiency in keyboard or guitar performance
• Ability to compose or arrange music is desirable but not required
• Knowledge of and experience with Roman Catholic liturgy and liturgical music
• Familiarity with liturgical traditions and practices in Spanish-speaking Catholic communities in the U.S.
• Strong interpersonal communications skills
• Proven project management skills and experience
• Attention to detail and care for quality
• Creativity, flexibility, and a collaborative spirit
Primary Responsibilities include:
• Choose music for bilingual and Spanish worship resources in collaboration with editorial team
• Manage keyboard and guitar editions for Spanish and bilingual worship resources
• Maintain database of Spanish and bilingual worship resource music titles
• Acquire new Spanish and bilingual liturgical music
• Oversee arrangements and publication of Spanish and bilingual liturgical music
• Keep current with and advise WLP about the liturgical music needs of Spanish-speaking Catholics in the U.S.
• Oversee recordings of Spanish and bilingual music
Mary Beth Kunde-Anderson
Director of Publications
World Library Publications
3708 River Road, Suite 400
Franklin Park, IL 60131
Director of Music Ministry
St. Pius Tenth Church in Owensboro, KY
St. Pius Tenth Parish, in Owensboro, KY is seeking a full-time skilled Director of Music Ministry with a Vatican II vision of liturgy and liturgical music. Requirements include a Bachelor’s Degree in music or equivalent experience, excellent people skills and proficient computer knowledge. Candidate must be a practicing Catholic in good standing with the Roman Catholic Church. The position collaborates with the Pastor, Parish Staff and Worship Committee. St. Pius Tenth is an equal opportunity employer.
All interested applicants may email or mail a cover letter and resume to:
Fr. Tom Buckman, St. Pius Tenth Parish
3418 Highway 144, Owensboro, KY 42303
St. Margaret Mary Church in Algonquin, IL
St. Margaret Mary Church in Algonquin, IL is a large (3,200 families), active community seeking a full-time Director of Music. The music director is an enthusiastic, faith-filled person who is responsible for all areas of music ministry for the English language masses and celebrations. Responsibilities include selecting and directing music for all English Language parish liturgical services; directing and accompanying on piano all music ministers (adult choirs, small ensembles, cantors, youth choir, instrumentalists, funeral choir, and children’s choirs) for liturgies, rehearsals, and special occasions; recruiting and training of adult and youth choir members, instrumentalists, and cantors; assisting parishioners in planning music for weddings and funerals, and playing for wedding and funeral liturgies; collaborating with Youth Ministry and Religious Education for Confirmation and First Communion celebrations; maintaining and updating music library, instruments, and sound system; oversees all administrative aspects of music ministry.
Requirements include: Practicing Roman Catholic. Thorough knowledge, training, and experience in Roman Catholic Liturgies. Experienced in choral conducting, teaching, and sight reading. Proficient on keyboard; vocal abilities, and able to lead assembly with piano and voice. Adept at playing a variety of musical styles (classical, traditional hymns, chant, contemporary, gospel, etc.). Flexible and patient; able to work with a wide range of musical skill levels and volunteer personalities. Excellent organizational and communication skills to execute music planning, scheduling, communication with staff and volunteers. Working knowledge of computer software (Microsoft Office or Google Docs) and email systems. Working knowledge of sound systems and digital mixing software. Minimum education level of Bachelor’s degree is preferred but not required with proven work experience.
In order to apply, letter of Application and resume should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pastoral Associate: Liturgy, Worship & Music
St. Thomas More Catholic Community in St. Paul, MN
St. Thomas More Catholic Community in St. Paul, MN is looking for a Pastoral Associate who will promote and facilitate the full, conscious and active participation of the faithful in the liturgical and devotional life of the parish.
Liturgy & Worship Responsibilities (include but are not restricted to):
– Oversee all aspects of the liturgical and devotional life of the parish, including planning, scheduling & staffing of all worship experiences for the parish, including (but not limited to) weekday masses, weekend masses, holy days, funerals, weddings, Triduum liturgies, communal reconciliations, & Eucharistic Adoration.
– Oversee the seasonal Church Environment teams, including purchase of all seasonal supplies, plants & flowers.
Music Ministry Responsibilities (include but are not restricted to):
– Oversee all aspects of the parish liturgical music program, providing music selection & coverage for weekend liturgies, holy days, Triduum, reconciliation services, First Communion, funerals (in collaboration with Pastoral Care Associate), and weddings (in collaboration with Wedding Director)
– Work with Adult Choir Director and Parish Youth Choir Director on recruitment, music selection for choral pieces & scheduling
– Recruit, train & schedule all volunteer Cantors & Instrumentalists
– Recruit & schedule all Paid Music Ministers (accompanists & instrumentalists)
– Provide all necessary information regarding song selections & music resources
– Request appropriate payment in timely manner
– Plan all music for parish liturgies using appropriate planning resources
General Staff Responsibilities (include but are not restricted to):
– Maintain fiscal responsibility by proposing, tracking and respecting the budget
– Attend Staff Meetings
– Report directly to the Pastor
– Meet with Pastor on weekly basis (and/or as necessary) regarding scheduling & ritual concerns
– Attend Diocesan Ministry days for enrichment and networking with others in the field of liturgy & music
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To apply, please send a résumé to:
Director of Worship
Good Shepherd Catholic Parish in Evansville, IN
An active, vibrant Parish of 1049 families and 3055 parishioners in Vanderburgh County, Indiana, Good Shepherd Catholic Parish located on the east side of Evansville is accepting applications for the full-time salaried position of Director of Worship. The successful candidate will be prepared to plan, lead and participate in liturgical music at all 3 weekend Masses, all School Masses, and other Parish & School Liturgies (ie) holy days, retreats, missions, communal reconciliations, sacramental celebrations, funerals, weddings and prayer services. The ideal candidate is a competent musician capable of confidently leading, developing, and encouraging others in a positive ministry environment in order to provide quality music that draws the faithful into prayerful worship. The Director of Worship reports to the Pastor, collaborates with Parish Staff and is a key participant in executing the Pastor’s vision for reverent, transformative, and inspiring liturgy.
For a complete Job Description for the Director of Worship position, please visit our parish website at gsparish.org. Interested individuals may submit applications or inquiries to the hiring committee via email: email@example.com
Director of Liturgy and Music
Holy Cross Catholic Church in Deerfield, IL
Holy Cross is hiring a full-time Director of Liturgy and Music. Responsibilities include: preparation of weekly liturgy scripts; overseeing ministry teams; proficiency in choral directing; training of cantors and choir, choosing repertoire based on Gather 3 Hymnal, WLP, OCP, CCLI and ministering to a welcoming community of congregational singers at three weekend liturgies. Certification in Liturgy, Bachelor’s degree in music or commensurate experience; sight-reading skills necessary; proficiency in piano & voice; ability to arrange music; must work as a team member; strong interpersonal skills, desired. More detailed job description available during interview.
Send applications or inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Music Ministry
St. Peter Damian Church in Bartlett, IL
St. Peter Damian Catholic Church in suburban Bartlett, Illinois, is looking for a Director of Music Ministry. The position is full-time salaried and has medical benefits. The Director of Music Ministry is a professional who holds specialized credentials in music and has a thorough understanding of the Roman Catholic liturgy. This person of faith is responsible for the effective planning, coordination, and execution of music within the liturgical celebrations of the parish. He or she is gifted with a vision of how a local church can develop its potential.
St. Peter Damian is a welcoming and friendly parish. It is a very active, vibrant, and growing church community. There are over 1,200 families in the parish who participate in various aspects of church life. St. Peter Damian has a comprehensive Lifelong Faith Formation program reaching out to every age and stage of life and encompassing pre-school, religious education from kindergarten through confirmation, teen ministry, and adult faith formation. There are opportunities to serve others who are in need through The When In Need ministry, the Giving Tree, teen ministry service projects, etc.
Bartlett is a Northwest Chicago Suburban community of 41,000 residents. It has 380 acres of parkland, indoor and outdoor pools, two golf courses, a ski facility, 20 miles of bike paths, restaurants and retail stores. There is convenient access to major highways and Metra commuter rail service to downtown Chicago.
The Director of Music Ministry possesses the qualities common to all pastoral ministers. The Director must be a person of prayer, is sensitive to the cultural experience of parishioners, and understands their spirituality and worship life. He or she must be a Catholic in good standing.
In addition to the competencies and skills needed by all pastoral ministers, the Director of Music Ministry must:
– be proficient in organ, piano, choral, and voice.
– be knowledgeable of, and comfortable with, Church music in all forms and styles for the congregation, choirs (adult, teen, and children), vocalists, and instrumentalists.
– be proficient in liturgical principles.
– have a thorough understanding of the musical, liturgical, and pastoral judgments which must be made in selecting music for liturgy.
In addition to the training for all pastoral ministers, preparation for this ministry requires professional training in music and liturgy. Minimally, a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent is required for the Director of Music Ministry. If you are interested, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Director of Music and Worship
St. Mary Catholic Church in Defiance, OH
St. Mary Catholic Church, Defiance, Ohio, a welcoming community of worship and service, dedicated to the faith formation of all its members, seeks a full time Director of Music and Worship. As a member of the Pastoral staff, the applicant must desire to work in a model of collaborative leadership and provide direction of an active and well-formed parish liturgical ministry commission. The applicant must first and foremost have a love of the Catholic liturgy and a love of people. The applicant must also be self-motivated, organized, flexible, knowledgeable of Catholic Liturgy, have good communication skills, be skilled in piano and able to provide direction to choirs, cantors, musicians and liturgical ministry teams. Ability to play the organ is a plus. Salary competitive and commensurate with education/experience. Position open immediately. Ministry Description and Responsibilities available on request.
Send Resume and three references to:
Rev. Randy Giesige
Address: 715 Jefferson Avenue, Defiance, OH 43512
You may send applications or inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Music and Organist
St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Wheeling, WV
St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Wheeling, WV seeks a full-time organist and choir director. 4 Masses a weekend and weekday evening adult choir rehearsal, Holy Days, special liturgical parish celebrations (i.e. first communion, confirmation). Teach weekday music classes with the students of parish grade school. Presumed familiarity with traditional and contemporary sacred music and an understanding of GIRM with good interpersonal skills for directing cantors and leading choirs. Salary will be dependent upon education and experience. Funerals and weddings are extra stipends.
Email Msgr. Paul Hudock at email@example.com with questions and to submit cover letter and resume or CV. (304) 242-0406
Director of Liturgy
Notre Dame Center For Liturgy – Notre Dame, IN
The Diocese of Hamilton is looking for a Fulltime Director of Liturgy. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Hamilton, established in 1856, is the second largest diocese in English speaking Canada and serves the needs of more than 626,000 Roman Catholics, throughout Southwestern Ontario. Reporting to Chancellor, this position is responsible for providing good liturgical practices throughout the Diocese of Hamilton. Although the position will be based in Hamilton, travel throughout the Diocese will be required.
- Provides Liturgical Ministry Formation opportunities through workshops and retreats for Ministers of the Word, Communion and Music as well as Children’s Liturgy Leaders.
- Implements the introduction of updated liturgical requirements through the coordination of workshops for the clergy and lay liturgical ministers throughout the Diocese.
- Coordinates the mandates for lectors and Ministers of Communion.
- Prepares and coordinates Diocesan Liturgical Celebrations.
- Advises the Bishop on liturgical issues, develops guidelines for liturgical practices in the Diocese and provides expertise to the clergy and other Ministers throughout the Diocese.
- As needed, makes available new books and resources relating to liturgical issues.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate or Post Graduate Degree or approved Certification in Roman Catholic Liturgical studies.
- At least 5-year experience in liturgical Ministry.
- A strong background in sacred music would be highly beneficial.
- Full communion with the Roman Catholic Church, as determined at the sole discretion of the Bishop of the Diocese.
If this sounds like you, please apply by October 29th, 2018.
Please forward your resume and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include “Director of Liturgy” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
St. Basil Greek Orthodox Church – Stockton, CA
St. Basil Greek Orthodox Church is looking for an experienced organist or pianist to play for Sunday service. For information about St. Basil Church, go to http://gosaintbasil.org/
Send inquiries to email@example.com
Director for Office of Worship
Diocese of Stockton – Stockton, CA
This position is an extension of the Bishop’s Ministry.
A successful candidate will oversee designated, liturgical responsibilities, including preparing diocesan liturgical celebrations, coordinating masters of ceremonies and other ministerial responsibilities, implementation and execution of RCIA, overseeing liturgical music, and providing information and guidance on liturgical matters to pastors and parish ministers.
This position collaborates with the School of Ministry and Deacon Formation offices to provide liturgical training for permanent deacon candidates. It also assists in providing liturgical education and workshops in parishes as needed.
For a complete job description, requirements, and how to apply, click here.