The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to those who are being saved it is the power of God. Let us remember our foolishness and pray for the fools we love and those we don’t.
- For pompous fools and self-sufficient prigs, that they may learn with grace to take themselves less seriously.
- For people who cannot tell right from wrong, or down from up, or love from ownership, or liberty from selfishness, that their eyes may be opened and they may see.
- For people who turn their left cheek when hit on the right, or who give their shirt to the one who takes their coat, or who sell all they own and give it to the poor to follow Christ, that there may be more of them.
- For acrobats and poets and kite fliers, and all who do things that are not merely useful, that they may know the pleasure they give to others.
- For people who cannot stand fools of any sort, that they may be spared.
– By a monk of Saint John’s Abbey
Reposted from April 1, 2017.