For the first time, the Association of Catholic Publishers (ACP) awarded the winners of the Excellence in Publishing Awards this past week.
First, second, and third place honors were awarded to publishers and authors of the best Catholic content in 10 categories. The highlight of the evening was the announcement of the “Book of the Year” which was chosen from among the first-place finishers of the 10 categories.
Holy Desperation by Heather King (published by Loyola Press) took the top honor. Judges commented that Holy Desperation was, “A brutally honest and poignant story of one woman’s journey from sin and addiction to a faith that she now proclaims through the ministry of writing” and called it inspiring, empowering, and compelling.
Of the 30 award-winning titles, Liturgical Press had the most awards of any publisher with eight.
The winners by category are:
- (tied) At Play in the Lion’s Den by Jim Forest (Orbis Books)
- (tied) The Gospel in Gerard Manley Hopkins by Gerard Manley Hopkins (Plough Publishing)
- Daniel Rudd by Gary B. Agee (Liturgical Press)
- Saint Clare of Assisi: Runaway Rich Girl by Kim Hee-Ju (Pauline Books and Media)
- Loyola Kids Book of Bible Stories by Amy Welborn (Loyola Press)
- How to Be a Hero by Julia Harrell (Pauline Books and Media)
- Balancing Faith & Work by Chris Lowney (RENEW International)
- Finding Jesus among Muslims by Jordan Denari Duffner (Liturgical Press)
- Tuned In: The Power of Pressing Pause and Listening by Art and Laraine Bennett (Our Sunday Visitor)
- Holy Desperation by Heather King (Loyola Press)
- Lift Up Your Heart by John Burns (Ave Maria Press)
- Miracle in Motion: Living a Purposeful Life by Antionio Martinez Jr. SJ, with David Warden (Paulist Press)
Prayer & Spirituality
- Prayer Seeds by Joyce Rupp (Ave Maria Press)
- I Want to See: What the Story of Blind Bartimaeus Teaches Us About Fear, Surrender and Walking the Path to Joy by Roc O’Connor, SJ (Twenty-Third Publications)
- Vesper Time by Frank Cunningham (Orbis Books)
Resources for Liturgy
- For All the Saints by J. Michael Thompson (World Library Publications)
- Light in the Darkness by Paul Turner (Liturgical Press)
- Living Liturgy: Spirituality, Celebration, and Catechesis for Sundays and Solemnities Year B (2018) by Brian Schmisek, Diana Macalintal, and Jay Cormier (Liturgical Press)
Resources for Ministry
- (tied) Fruitful Discipleship: Living the Mission of Jesus in the Church and the World by Sherry A. Weddell (Our Sunday Visitor)
- (tied) The Way of Catechesis by Gerard F. Baumbach (Ave Maria Press)
- Liturgical Catechesis in the 21st Century: A School of Discipleship by James C. Pauley (Liturgy Training Publications)
- Sacred Strangers by Nancy Haught (Liturgical Press)
- New Collegeville Bible Commentary: One-Volume Edition by Daniel Durken, OSB (Liturgical Press)
- Ephesians by Elisabeth Schüssler Fiorenza (Liturgical Press)
- Manual de los Sacramentos by Claudio Burgaleta, SJ (Liguori Publications)
- El Credo by Hosffman Ospino
(Ave Maria Press)
- Interculturalismo y catequesis: Guia del catequista para responder a la diversidad cultural by Hosffman Ospino (Twenty-Third Publications)
- The Joy of Religious Pluralism by Peter C. Phan (Orbis Books)
- One in Christ by Timothy R. Gabrielli (Liturgical Press)
- Creation, God, and Humanity: Engaging the Mystery of Suffering within the Sacred Cosmos by Catherine Wright (Paulist Press)
The Association of Catholic Publishers (ACP) is a membership organization of Catholic publishers, those who provide services to Catholic publishers, and individuals who work with Catholic publishers.