Jena Thurow-Mountin reports on NPM from Cincinnati.
A group from Saint John’s School of Theology and Seminary is on its way to Cincinnati, OH, for the 40th annual NPM convention: “Formed as One – Union of Voices, Unity of Hearts.” I will report on showcases, evening events, and plenum presentations throughout the week, to continue the conversation here on Pray Tell.
Some new and exciting additions to this year’s NPM:
- Certain events throughout the convention will be livestreamed by NPM.
- The convention will open with a blessing and ringing of the newly-forged NPM Bell, as well as a blessing of our new NPM president, Steve Petrunak.
- Following these blessings is an opening Eucharist, with what is billed a “Keynote Homily” by outgoing president Msgr. Richard Hilgartner.
- A new option for high school youth at this year’s convention is the NPM Youth Music Ministry Institute, hosted at Xavier University. The Youth Institute focuses on furthering vocational discernment, musical skills, and engaging youth with NPM as an organization.
- On Tuesday, July 11, solemn Evening Prayer is offered for the Feast of St. Benedict.
- Tuesday night is a “Musical Safari – Cinci Style,” hosted at the Cincinnati Zoo and botanical gardens. This special event celebrates 40 years of NPM conventions, 10 years of Sing to the Lord, and 50 years of Musicam sacram.
If you are in Cincinnati for the convention, please stop by the Saint John’s School of Theology and Seminary booth and Liturgical Press area in the exhibit hall and visit us! If you are following along from home, stay tuned for more highlights from the 40th NPM convention.
Jena Thurow-Mountin is an M.Div. student at Saint John’s School of Theology and Seminary in Collegeville.