Pray Tell reported earlier that the Catholic bishops of Germany called for the withdrawal of the revised prayer for the Jewish people written by Pope Benedict to replace the wording in the “Extraordinary Form” of the 1962 missal.
Now the Catholic Herald reports that the Catholic bishops of England and Wales say that the prayer should be “updated“”
Archbishop Kevin McDonald, chairman of the bishops’ Committee for Catholic-Jewish Relations, said the difference had caused “great confusion and upset in the Jewish community”.
He said: “The 1970 prayer which is now used throughout the Church is basically a prayer that the Jewish people would continue to grow in the love of God’s name and in faithfulness of his Covenant, a Covenant which – as St John Paul II made clear in 1980 – has not been revoked. By contrast the prayer produced in 2008 for use in the Extraordinary Form of the liturgy reverted to being a prayer for the conversion of Jews to Christianity.”
The prayer revised in 2008 by Pope Benedict for the solemn petitions of the Good Friday liturgy reads:
“Let us also pray for the Jews: that our God and Lord may illuminate their hearts, that they acknowledge Jesus Christ is the Savior of all men.”
In the reforms of the liturgy done after the Second Vatican Council, a new prayer was written to replace the preconciliar text:
“Let us pray for the Jewish people, the first to hear the word of God, that they may continue to grow in the love of his name and in faithfulness to his covenant.”
The prayer before the Second Vatican Council until 1960 was this:
Let us pray also for the faithless Jews: that almighty God may remove the veil from their hearts; so that they too may acknowledge Jesus Christ our Lord.
In 1960, Pope John XXIII ordered that the word “faithless” be removed from the prayer.